6 bone-in chicken thighs (skin removed*)
10 cloves of smashed garlic
8 ginger slices
2–3 dried chili
3 tbsp Shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine)
3 tbsp sesame oil
3 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp of neutral oil for frying
3 tbsp of water
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup fresh Thai Basil leaves
- *Optional: Remove the chicken skin to make the dish healthier.
- In medium heat, add neutral oil to a cast iron pan, and brown your chicken pieces on all sides.
- In the meantime, prep the rest of your ingredients. Smash your garlic, slice your ginger, and remove the basil leaves from the stem.
- Prep your sauce. Put all the liquids in a bowl. Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and water.
- Once your chicken is browned, add the garlic, ginger and chilis. Saute until fragrant. 1 minute.
- Add the sauce.
- Put a lid and let it come to a boil, and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the Thai basil leaves.
- Mix a little bit with a spatula for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs to make them healthier. Less fat.
- For a faster cooking time, use your Instant Pot (pressure cooker). Brown the chicken, and add all the aromatics and sauce ingredients. Set to manual – 15 minutes. Natural release.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: mains
- Method: braising
- Cuisine: asian
Keywords: 3 cup chicken, three cup chicken, san bei ji, three cup chicken recipe, three cup chicken instant pot