6 chicken drumsticks
3 tbsp gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
3 tbsp cup soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp neutral oil (I used grapeseed oil)
2 tablespoons honey
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp grated ginger
- Prepare the marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together gochujang, soy sauce, honey, mirin, garlic, ginger, oil, and black pepper.
- Prepare the chicken: Butterfly the chicken legs.
- How to butterfly chicken drumstick:
- Cutting the meat to the bone to open the leg up will give you more surface area for the marinade to penetrate. Here is a step by step instructions on how to butterfly a chicken.
- Add chicken legs to the bowl and toss until the chicken is evenly coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake the chicken: Place chicken legs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper SKIN SIDE DOWN. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is crispy.
- Broil for 2 minutes to get crispier skin.
- Air fry the chicken: Preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Line your air fryer basket or air fryer tray with a parchment paper liner.
- Arrange your chicken drumsticks skin side down. Air fry for 20 minutes. Flipping halfway. Broil at the last 2 minutes to get a crispier skin.
- Garnish with sliced scallions, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!