2 lbs pork belly – skin removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup cane vinegar
1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 diced onion
3-inch ginger sliced in half
8 garlic cloves
4 bay leaves
1 tbsp whole peppercorn
2 – 3 red Thai chili peppers (optional – highly recommend)
- Prepare all your ingredients. Remove the skin side of your pork belly, and slice them into 2-inch pieces.
- Slice and dice your aromatics (ginger, onions, and garlic).
- Prepare your adobo sauce so everything is ready to go (soy sauce, water, vinegar, and sugar).
- In a large dutch oven, sear your pieces of pork belly on all sides. Do this in batches and do not overcrowd. Remove and set aside.
- Get rid of excess fat or oil in the pot.
- Add the aromatics (ginger, garlic, onion, black peppercorn) into the dutch oven.
- Add all the liquids (soy sauce, water, vinegar) and brown sugar.
- Bring it to a boil. Add the bay leaves and chili peppers.
- Add back the pork belly. Let it come to a boil, then bring it down to low heat, and simmer for 1 hour with the lid on.
- After an hour, check if the pork belly is fork tender. If not, increase to medium heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- When the pork belly is fork tender, remove the lid and let it simmer on medium-high heat for 10 minutes to let the cooking liquid reduce.
- When the sauce has been reduced in half, turn off the heat. The sauce should be thickened and the flavor should be well-balanced.
- Serve it with white rice and enjoy!
*You can make this in the Instant Pot for a quicker cook time. Instructions are listed above.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 85 minutes
- Category: mains
- Method: braising
- Cuisine: filipino
Keywords: adobo, filipino adobo, filipino pork adobo, pork adobo, pork belly adobo, braised pork belly instant pot, pork adobo instant pot