Garlic Braised Kale is a delicious way to get your greens in. The kale is lightly softened as it sautés in butter and garlic. This dish is simple yet luxurious at the same time. You will never look at kale the sesame. This is the perfect side dish.
Garlic Braised Kale has always been my favorite side dish. This recipe is from my favorite brunch spot in Victoria, BC, The Village. I ate this every day for a month. I don’t eat this every day anymore because I got sick of it, but it is and will always be my favorite way of eating kale.
This dish is perfect for when you’re on a health kick and great for meal prep as it stores well in the fridge for up to a few days in an airtight container. Allen (husband) and I eat this a lot. 10 out of 10.
What is BRAISING cooking method?
Braising is usually used in terms of cooking meat. It can be done for cooking tough vegetables as well. Kale can be a tough vegetable to prepare. This cooking method with a little water can help break it down so it can be more flavorful and not taste like tough grass.
Other superfoods of leafy green vegetables that would be good braise are swiss chard, collard greens, cabbage (Sesame Braised Cabbage), beet greens, watercress, and so much more.
Ingredients for making Garlic Braised Kale
The ingredients for this dish are simple.
- Kale – you can use any kale.
- Garlic – adds so much flavor to this dish.
- Butter – butter makes everything better. Feel free to omit if you want a dairy-free option. Sub avocado oil.
- Water – It helps break down the superfood vegetable.
- Salt and Pepper
Storage and Reheat
This dish is perfect for meal prep. I like to double this recipe by getting 2 bunches of kale. It stores well and is fantastic if you’re on a healthy kick.
Store it in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. To Reheat, you can pan-fry in a pan or microwave for 30 seconds.
Is Kale good for you?
Kale is king! It is by far my favorite superfood of all time. If cooked properly, this leafy vegetable is so darn tasty!
Kale is definitely one of the healthiest plant foods there is. Kale is loaded with vitamin C (twice as much as spinach). It is also high in iron, vitamins A and K. It is proven to improve heart health and weight loss. All the reasons to eat kale today.
What to serve with this dish
Garlic Braised Kale is the perfect side dish.
- 3 Cup Chicken (San Bei Ji) – this is a rich chicken recipe that will need some braised kale to accompany the rice.
- Classic Chicken Adobo – the richness of this dish could use a healthy side option.
- Garlic Miso Chicken – the perfect pair.
3–4 cups of kale – removed from stem
2–3 cloves of garlic (minced and roughly chopped)
2 tbsp of unsalted butter
2 tbsp of water
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
- Prep your kale. Remove kale from the stem. Rip the leaves into bit size pieces.
- Mince or rough chop your garlic
- In a skillet, medium heat, heat your butter and garlic.
- Once the garlic is fragrant and a bit brown (not burnt), add your kale pieces. Saute for 1-2 minutes and add the water, salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and let it braise for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mix the kale with a pair of tongs. Adjust seasoning and taste a leaf to see if this is the consistency you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: sides
- Method: braising
Keywords: braised kale, garlic braised kale, kale, sauteed kale, braised kale with garlic